Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Ant Story !!


As I start thinking about my essays , I cannot stop myself from getting nostalgic. I came across a question which asks the candidate to explain two of his annoying characteristics. As I think about it one incident springs to my mind. Well at this point of time if the reader knows me well then I am sure he/she would have guessed what I am speaking about.

It was summer holidays, and my family was lazing out in the verandah . It was about 4 pm and I had woke up after a nice siesta. Sipping hot tea as my mother handed some biscuits around, I was reconstructing my midday dream in my subconscious mind. There was some idle talk going around and I was slipping back into my dreams.

Suddenly, the talk wandered to the subject of my studies and my grades in engineering. That made me a little uncomfortable and i decided to dead bat the questions as they came pounding one after the other. Sensing my reluctance to answer the discussion veered into a different direction. I congratulated myself for doing a "Dravid on Perth" and tried to cool away.

Then out of nowhere, my mother spied a little ant, busy in its work. It trekked through the crevices of the verandah as it sought to reach its home. The ant all the while was carrying a leaf, which looked at least 10 times heavier and 20 times larger than the ant. My mother marveled at its courage and hard work. She was impressed by the ant's commitment to work and was effusive in its praise. I half-sleepily acknowledged its achievements. However, not happy with the response my mother sought to drive her point harder. She started comparing me with the ant. On how the ant struggled to finish its work and how I lazed instead of studying.

Now any self respecting egomaniac would hate to be compared to an ant let alone be shown inferior to it. What followed remains in the mind of my family till today. I went closer to the ant and witness its splendor. In sudden swift movements I picked a slipper and banged the ant twice on its head. Even before anyone could understand what happened the ant was left devoid of life. I then turned to my mother and said that this was the difference between me and the ant. My mother let out a cry and shouted at me, she picked the closest thing to her hand (which luckily was a magazine ) and hit me violently with it. She proclaimed that I was rude, heartless, cruel, psychotic and egotistic. Months later, my brother wrote an elaborate poem about a hardworking ant and a cruel man who toyed with it.

Today, as I write this I know that what I did was impulsive and wrong. In retrospect I never felt more bad about killing any ant as I did of killing this one. God forbid, if I go to hell after my life. I am sure there would be an ant waiting for me with a big slipper.

Another update on my GMAT front, I got my AWA score and it shows that I improved from (4/6) to (4.5/6). Looks like its time to complete the other half of Zoya's Story. The Ant is having its revenge already.

10 comments:

Kartheek said...

:) nice one.....
n sure nostalgic too...
ant waiting in hell wid the slipper ;) (cud b for real anna) !!!
besides congrats on the awa score!!!

Peru said...

Hi Harsh,
May be u can write a book called Ant vs harsha or Harsha, The ant killer
:-))

Sharkon said...

@ Peru
Howz "Revenge of the Ant!!" for a title

@kartheek

Ya nostalgic do you still have the Ant poem you wrote with you?

Gaurav said...

Not only ant, some more species including a few human beings will be waiting for u...with deadlier weapons :P

Manjeera said...

i am still wondering how u managed to aim @ the ant's head with the slipper :P

Krishna Thotakura said...

Wonderful narrative. The story was good, but the story telling was even better.

Anonymous said...

Cool Raaa Mama nelo intha talent :)
Ant story is some thing different you wrote it or just copied :)

Unknown said...

Thanks to the ant ,that was carrying a leaf...!
congrats on the awa score!!!

Unknown said...

Well, the story n the story telling was def good...but what made me lol was Gaurav's comment...Is this GC? (actually it has to b GC...)..:)

S Reddy said...

well well, u definetly have taken the untrodden path!!!hope the antz is waitin in hell....